Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Being There


I doubt this will be a very popular post, but I've gotta stick to me guts and those feelings.

I read this article in Huff Post, and, although it sort of takes another tack on moms and prioritizing jobs and family, it gives me a chance to mouth off , becoming an old geezer when this subject comes up.

Yes, women want children and a super career. Can it be done, well? Sure, anyone can work eight, ten hour days, come home, feed the kids, yada, yada, yada. To me that's filling time, not living life. I just don't think you can have both and one not suffer, and I don't like the odds for kids. It really makes me sad, so sad (sorry, I sound like Trump) when I see mom's and dad's dropping off their young ones at daycare, leaving someone else to mold and influence your child. Of course, the ideal situation is to have one parent stay home. Yes, yes, I know it's nearly impossible, but then what is the point of having children- just to have some reproductive apples rolling along? Yeah, staying home with children all day, all night, can make a human hide in closet and want to scream. Them's the breaks, folks. Don't have kids, then. Oooooh, I can feel the frigid breeze over my shoulders. Hold on, I'm not done digging my hole. Like I said, it would be ideal for one parent to stay home with children, preferably, the mom. Yeah, I said it. As every guilty person on Judge Judy says after the verdict, "It is what it is." All these studies are not going to change anything. It's a dilemma from time immemorial.

Did I practice what I just preached? Yep. Times were tough, some years. Mom and child had civil wars. I wished I could have done more for me, yet, I don't regret that time. Raising children is a JOB, the absolute hardest, with the least amount of pay, but the most amount of reward.


Anyway, there it is. I'm sorry I sound like a conservative. I am not. But family xcomes first, and to me that means being there.

*update:  I just wanted to add, it doesn't matter to me whether it's mom/mom, dad/dad, vulcan/human, as long as one is there for the kiddlewinks.


3 comments:

Berthold Gambrel said...

I agree with you on this. But being male, and being a liberal, and not being a parent, I tend to keep my opinion to myself. It's nice to know that someone who has practical knowledge of raising a kid feels this way.

Maggie Jean said...

Well,it is a rawther old school stance. I promise not to go there too often.

^.^ said...

:)

Uh, Hmmm, WTF, kinda movie

The movie, 'Swiss Army Man, ' is so strange I can't even tell you if I liked it. It starts out with a man on an island  (al...