Sunday, April 23, 2017

World Book Day


Today is, World Book Day. Shoot, every day is book day for me. I can't recall ever being without a book, and my love for many of the characters is still as strong as ever. As Sheldon Cooper explains to Howard why he is giving him his, 'spot,' he says, "I love my mother, my feelings for my spot are much greater." Yeah. I feel the same about books. Real live people are okay, but they can't take away my spot for Scout, Jane, Eleanor, Daniel, Garnet, Ignatious, Merricat - old and new friends. What can I say? Read a book.


A small sampling of some the books I have read and loved this year...




A new friend, Daniel. I am so glad I read this book, although, I was highly skeptical seeing that Steve Martin wrote it. I assumed it would be too silly, but the character in the book, Daniel, is so wonderful and the story is funny and touching and yes, at times silly, but oh, so sweet.




Oh, boy, what a disturbingly good book, written by one of the best, Shirley Jackson.





"A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head. The green earflaps, full of large ears and uncut hair and the fine bristles that grew in the ears themselves, stuck out on either side like turn signals indicating two directions at once. Full, pursed lips protruded beneath the bushy black moustache and, at..."

I will never tire of reading this quirky and sometimes, gross, tale about Igantius Jacques Reilly. So wonderful. The true story of how this book was finally published is just as intriguing as the book.




Some new characters, although, they can never replace Scout and Garnet. I'm sure as we get older and more jaded we lose that sense of wonder and feelings for people who never were. It's sad in a way, but, they will always be there for me.







Read a book, any book, in any form.


4 comments:

Timoteo said...

Hey, kiddo...thanks so much for reading mine. Loved your comment!

^.^ said...

Love my books too, friend Maggles ... will never let them go ... and if my house was on fire I would rescue my books first ... Love, cat.

Maggie Jean said...

I've certainly thought about what I'd take in case of fire. My purse, phone, tablet, stuffed kitty, and toy from my poor departed kitty. Really important stuff,like your books. : }

^.^ said...

:)

Our State Fair

You have to go to at least one fair during the Summer , so, why not go to the king of fairs, the State Fair? There is nothing like hol...