Wednesday, September 28, 2016

What's a Hero?

I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing the movie, 'Sully.' I don't care for disaster movies...well, real disaster movies. I like the Will Smith sort, where cities explode. But, this, nah. I haven't seen Titanic either.

Now, this is where I lose followers by speaking my mind. No filter here, folks. But, why do they call the pilot a hero? He did what he was trained to do, albeit, a truly stunning act. I always considered a hero to be someone who risks his/her own life for the sake of others.

I Googled the meaning of, 'hero.' (Typically a man!? For shame, Google)



a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.


Okay, I guess that describes lots of people, even Sullenberger.

But, not in my book.

My heroes...

Rosa Parks. Took a woman (even though men took credit for this) to defy the back of the bus standard. She had time to rethink her plan, yet, she still went through with it. Takes courage.


French Resistance. True romantics in my head, although it must have been pure hell, and so much fear to do what they did.

Every person who got on a leaky raft for the sake of their children, for a better life. They risk everything for what they probably realize will not be a much better life because of the hate, the bigotry aimed at them. Plus, they leave their home, broken as it is.

Victoria Soto

Every person who tried to protect another human being from mad men who hunt and kill and hide behind assault weapons because they have been slighted in some way or are just mentally sick.


Those who resisted Hitler. Those who speak out against Trump...

Yeah, you get it.



1 comment:

KC said...

So people who had a choice whether or not to be heroic basically? I can see what you mean.

I Am All Pow(dot dot dot) oh, sh*#!

Seriously, is this guy's ego so big he thinks he's more powerful than the sun? What a goof. Anyway, we are still here. Not tha...